St. Petersburg, Florida – The St. Pete Pier has been selected as one of 10 winners of the Urban Land Institute’s 2022 Americas Awards for Excellence, a supreme honor recognizing the best new urban designs.
The St. Pete Pier was the only design in the southeastern United States to be awarded.
ULI launched the Awards for Excellence program in 1979 to recognize superior development efforts in the private, public and not-for-profit sectors. The winning projects represent the highest standards of achievement in the land use profession. Winners of the ULI Americas Awards for Excellence become finalists for the 2022 ULI World Awards for Excellencee, in competition with European and Asian projects. ULI will announce the Global Awards winners before the organization’s fall meeting in October.
“This is an incredible and significant achievement for our city and our iconic waterfront. Winning the ULI Awards for Excellence puts the St. Pete Pier on the map as a world-class destination for residents and visitors. Now we will compete on the world stage, providing a new opportunity to showcase our great city and this incredible attraction. Thank you to ULI and the members of the jury for honoring us with this year’s award,” said St. Petersburg Mayor Kenneth T. Welch.
This year, 68 projects and programs from across the Americas region were submitted for the competition. In this impressive field, the 11-member jury composed of experts in development, finance, planning, urban design, architecture and landscape architecture selected 21 finalists. After discussing with the teams behind these projects and having visited them all, the jury designated the 10 winners.
The public can view the winners, runners-up and submissions for the 2022 ULI Americas Awards for Excellence Gallery.
The winners of the 2022 ULI Americas Awards for Excellence are:
The awards are open to projects and programs in the ULI Americas region that are substantially complete, financially viable, and in stable operation. The program evaluates submissions on overall excellence, including achievements in market acceptance, design, planning, technology, amenities, economic impact, management, community engagement, innovation and sustainability, among others.
In addition to an open category, which recognizes all product types, this year’s award categories included equitable development, low-carbon development, resilient development, small-scale development and open space. urban.
St. Pete was recognized in the Urban Open Space category.
The Awards for Excellence program is the centerpiece of ULI’s efforts to identify and promote best practices in all types of real estate development. For more information on the ULI Americas Awards for Excellence, visit uli.org/aae. For more information on the ULI Global Awards for Excellence, visit uli.org/gae.
The 2022 ULI Americas Awards of Excellence jury members to understand:
- Marilynn Davis, Senior Advisor at HR&A Advisors, Atlanta
- Andy Bush, founder and managing partner of Morgan Creek Ventures, Boulder, Colorado.
- David Crabtree, design director and vice president of HHCP in Orlando
- Doug Craig, Vice President of RVi Planning + Landscape Architecture, Phoenix Andrew Garrett, Senior Director of Real Estate for IMCO, Toronto
- Jane Jenkins, President and CEO of Downtown Oklahoma City Partnership, Oklahoma City
- Leroy Moore, senior vice president and COO of the Tampa Housing Authority Paul Morris, nonprofit executive in Atlanta
- Sara Queen, Managing Director and Head of Real Estate Equities at MetLife Investment Management, New York
- Ben Tranel, director of Gensler, San Francisco
- Xiao Zheng, SWA Group Manager, Laguna Beach, CA.