WXY is an award-winning multidisciplinary practice specializing in delivering urban design, planning and architectural solutions in challenging contexts. Focused on innovative approaches to public space, structures and urban issues, the firm’s work engages both site-specific design and multi-scale planning. The firm’s commissions are in collaboration with public, private and non-profit organizations. WXY’s office is located in New York with satellite offices in Washington DC and Toronto.
The WXY team has a wide range of expertise and manages a wide variety of projects, which creates a dynamic office environment where interdisciplinary teamwork is essential.
This is a full-time urban designer position. The role requires an ability to manage a full range of urban design, land use, zoning, landscape and general planning proposals. The candidate should have strong design skills, excellent visual communication skills, a good eye and a strong technical aptitude to learn new tools and techniques.
The position will require the ability to take on aspects of a project independently and balance production duties with coordination responsibilities. This position is an integral part of the WXY design process and requires close collaboration with the entire design team, office managers, consultants and clients. The position will require the ability to work independently and as part of an effective team. The position is based in New York and is not remote.
At WXY, we are looking for capable, enthusiastic and curious people who are ready to get involved in a range of office project types and initiatives and to be part of our dynamic, mission-driven, international team of 50 people. .
- To understand the design project
- Support the design with high quality graphic communication, drawings and 3D visualization
- Support urban design, landscape and mass studies
- Maintain an organized content workflow throughout production in accordance with office procedures and standards
- To report directly to Project Managers and Office Managers and Associate Directors
- Ensure timely completion of all design materials
Required Skills :
- Able to demonstrate ability to perform the above responsibilities
- Strong design and representation skills
- Strong sensitivity to contemporary design culture and technological innovations
- Required software includes: AutoCAD, Rhino, Adobe Creative Suite
- Strong technical aptitude and ability to learn new digital tools
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage time effectively
- Able to take initiative in response to direction
- A flexible and open attitude to new ways of working and a commitment to excellence
- Able to work under pressure and meet deadlines effectively
- Great interpersonal communication skills
Experience & Diplomas:
- Able to work in the United States and start work immediately
- Fluent English (excellent written and verbal skills)
- 2 to 5 years of experience in urban design, architecture or planning
- Professional degree in urban design, urban planning, or architecture with a focus on urban-scale projects, public realm design, and master planning
This description reflects the core activities of the role, but is not intended to be exhaustive and changes to the duties of the position may be required from time to time. The job holder must recognize this and take a flexible approach to work.
This is a full-time salaried position with benefits. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or national origin. WXY is committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified employees and applicants who are disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, armed forces service medalist veterans, and others protected veterans. WXY is committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified persons with disabilities.
Please send a cover letter, CV and portfolio in PDF format to [email protected] with the job title in the subject line.