W Architecture & Landscape Architecture (W) is seeking a mid- to senior-level Landscape Designer/Landscape Architect with a strong background in project management and construction documents (CDs) to join our diverse team of professionals in our downtown office in Brooklyn. Training and experience in architecture or a license are a plus. W is a woman-owned company that creates meaningful places where city and nature meet to form new relationships. We focus on connecting communities to each other, people to places, and places to natural systems. We have particular expertise in working with urban waterfront sites, transforming neglected marginal areas into vital places for people to come together and experience a diversity of life.
Barbara Wilks, FAIA, FASLA, founded W Architecture and Landscape Architecture in 1999 to create a multidisciplinary design-focused practice focused on urban issues. A leader in design and interdisciplinary thinking, with more than 40 years of experience in urban design, public and institutional projects, she practices both as an architect and a landscape architect. W’s leadership recently expanded with the addition of Amy Mitchell, PLA as Managing Partner. She is an award-winning visionary landscape architect with over 20 years of experience designing public spaces, with a particular focus on creating specialized environments for children and inclusive places for all.
MIG, Inc. recently co-located with W in downtown Brooklyn. Both companies draw on their shared values and interdisciplinary approaches to expand their collective work from coast to coast. With complementary expertise and skills, W+MIG offers architecture, landscape architecture, urban design, planning, communications, graphic design and community engagement with an emphasis on connecting and improving people and places. Together, they continue to push the boundaries of innovative, community-based solutions that integrate the social, environmental and economic future of the places we live, work and play.
Collaborative teammate: You will work as part of a tight-knit yet diverse team with a focus on community and environmental design for waterfronts, parks and squares, and other places for children, youth and families to across New York City and across the United States working with public and private -sector clients.
Project management: As a project manager, you will lead the day-to-day of projects, as well as the creation of bold, innovative and equitable landscape, architectural and urban solutions. You will also help build and maintain strong, responsive client relationships by contributing leads, proposals and project interviews.
Type of project: Typical projects you will work on include waterfronts, site and landscape design for redevelopment projects, planning and design of parks, plazas and pathways; streetscape design; campus master plans; children’s play environments; and community engagement (including meetings and online tools).
Project work: Along with W and MIG staff, you will work with a team of landscape architects, planners and project managers on a variety of landscaping, architecture and landscape architecture projects. Your role on projects will typically include:
- Direct and support principals with tasks such as site analysis, site design, problem solving, construction details, planting plans, selection and design of site equipment and paving systems, aesthetic details and project research.
- Provide project management, project support, or both depending on the project and project team. This will include working closely with a team of designers and planners to produce project deliverables, developing forward-thinking designs, strategies and materials to facilitate the project and public meetings.
- Depending on your experience, you may provide overall project direction to staff and oversee work products; lead teams of sub-consultants and internal and external clients; and develop and manage projects, including scopes of work, budgets and schedules. You will maintain customer relations; identify the right course of action for the client; representing clients at hearings and public meetings; and setting the standards for excellence, responsiveness and accountability.
- Produce concept exhibits, illustrative graphics and complete sets of construction documents. Other responsibilities will likely include conducting project research and project reports; prepare design presentations; provide support for the development of cost estimates; respond to quotes and construction questions; coordinate sub-consultants and clients; and attend client meetings.
This is a full-time salaried position. W works on nationwide projects; some travel, evenings and weekends will be required for community engagement, site assessments or to meet deadlines. W encourages a work-life balance and overtime should be compensated during the week or pay period when possible.
To accomplish these responsibilities, you will be able to manage competing priorities, think critically and creatively, work as part of a collaborative team in an open environment, and maintain a sense of humor and camaraderie. Additionally, you have a combination of the following qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree in landscape architecture from an accredited university (Master’s degree and/or background in architecture is a plus.)
- Relevant consulting experience working at or with other landscapers or in a closely related field with a strong background in construction documents and construction management.
- You are local or want to relocate to work in the Brooklyn, NY office with a hybrid schedule.
- You can produce high quality work products including, but not limited to, complete sets of construction document drawings and illustrative site plans and detailed site graphics.
- Ability to participate collaboratively in small and large group discussions.
- Excellent graphic and presentation skills and written and verbal communication skills. Plant identification and hand-drawn graphic skills are a plus.
- You are an adaptable teammate who is willing to participate and help others.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, AutoCAD, SketchUp and Adobe Creative Suite. Experience in ArcGIS, Lumion, Revit and/or Rhino is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience in managing public sector projects, including maintaining compliance with project contracts, maintaining schedules, as well as working with clients and partners to deliver project work.
- You may actively participate in marketing and business development opportunities, develop potential project proposals, participate in interviews, and develop and maintain potential relationships with clients and partners.
- You are a people person, who shares our commitment to equity and inclusion, and who has the ability to develop collaborative, productive and respectful relationships with community members, organizations and partners.
- The ability to prepare and deliver effective public presentations, lead business meetings and speak easily and clearly in front of groups and can facilitate meetings with clients and stakeholders.
W values diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer; we encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including sick days, vacation days, paid time off, insurance, and a 401K program. Our team benefits from a flexible work schedule, a rewarding work environment and a creative atmosphere. Remuneration is based on skills and experience.
If this position matches your skills and you are passionate about integrating nature into our built environments and creating and enhancing communities, we would love to hear from you! Please send your CV, portfolio and cover letter (preferably in PDF format) to Amy and Barbara at [email protected] and [email protected]